If you have experienced a sudden increase in thirst, hunger, dry mouth accompanied with weight loss and fatigue, chances are you have what is called ‘Prediabetes’. Usually, type 2 diabetes doesn’t occur suddenly. Prediabetes is basically the first step in the long road leading to it. Affecting more that 85 million citizens in India, it is predicted that by 2030, almost 98 million Indians will have Type 2 Diabetes. According to the Best Doctor in Uttarpara, anyone who has a Body Mass Index of 26 or higher should get tested for it.
Prediabetes is a serious health condition where blood sugar levels are high, but not high enough yet to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. Insulin, which is formed in pancreas, allows blood sugar to get inside of cell allowing it to be used as a form of energy. This is how insulin helps lowering the blood sugar level of a person. But if you have prediabetes, it means that the cells aren’t responding normally to insulin. This is called Insulin Resistance.
In a span of 3-5 years, about 25% of the people having prediebetes will develop Diabetes. The percentage would only get higher over long term. Inactiveness and high abdominal fat are the main causes of prediabetes. But genetics and family history also has a huge role to play.
Knowing when to worry
If you are above 45 years old or/and have a family member with a history of type 2 diabetes, go to any clinic which does blood test in Uttarpara. It is highly likely that you have it. The other classic signs of prediabetes are:
• Increased thirst
• Blurred vision
• Frequent urination
• Sudden weight loss
• Having polycystic ovary syndrome
• Discolouration in certain body parts like elbow, knee, necks, etc.
Steps to prevent it
A change in lifestyle is required. Healthy lifestyle choices can help you prevent prediabetes or at least delay it greatly even if diabetes runs in your family.
• Start eating healthy food, which is low in carbohydrate and high in protein. Eat less of starchy and root vegetable and more of leafy vegetable. Try replacing lean meats like chicken and fish in place of fatty meat like bacon and pork belly.
• Get enough physical exercise. Workout for a little time every day. Even working out for 30 minutes regular will eventually lead to reduction of lower abdominal fat, one of the main causes of prediabetes.
• Check your sugar level regularly and anytime you see a sudden rise in it, visit the Best polyclinic in Uttarpara.
It is not easy to fight prediabetes but it is definitely not impossible. With focus and discipline, you can overcome it, consequently preventing type 2 diabetes in the long run. Have faith and maintain a healthy lifestyle.